Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Created Byhand Challenge + UHU Card Sketch


This week's Created Byhand challenge is to use alcohol inks ink your artwork. I had come across this by Thealie while browsing through blogs and thought it was fantastic. Unfortunately, I don't speak or read French! A quick cut and paste into Babelfish gave me a general idea of what she'd done, so I hunkered down in my studio to see what I could come up with.

The translation basically said four things - gesso, Cuttlebug, alcohol ink, and embossing powder. I guess that's as good a launching point as any! Maybe that's how all challenges should start. Just list three or four things and let everyone figure it out, lol! For me that meant scraping gesso onto a piece of chipboard (more cereal box scraps) until it was well covered. Then I used my new Adirondack alcohol inks in Red Pepper, Butterscotch, and Meadow (part of my winnings from the Ranger group challenge!) over the top. When it was fairly inked up I spritzed it a few times with alcohol. It was seriously cool looking by that point! Next, I put it through the Cuttlebug, hit the high spots with Versamark and embossed with gold ep.

After I had my background, I decided I would use it for the Glue With UHU November challenge. If you haven't been to this blog yet - get over there! They generously offer free UHU products in exchange for participation in their monthly challenge. This month I chose the original UHU glue stick and Mary Anderson's card sketch. UHU glues sticks are a staple for me. I have tried everything out there and I always come back to my UHU! It seems to be the only glue stick that is long lasting and doesn't give out over time. It's always dismaying to come across a piece of art that has fallen apart a few months after you've made it. With UHU you know that your art will last for a long time!

Stamp credits: Innovative Stamp Creations.

11 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly this really wonderful.
    Stunning card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card is so cute. I love the way you made the sketch your own style. Great work.

    Alyssa
    www.GlueWithUHU.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, thanks for you explanation as to how you achieved this wonderful result. This is another must try technique. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly, what a gorgeous art piece. I love the way the cuttlebug folder did with the AI . Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly created a beautiful background here...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous background. The colors are really wonderful. Who would have thought of the cuttlebug. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Shelly! I love UHU glues too. I've found that K&Company makes a great glue too. It's called "Quick Dry Craft Bond". Will bond paper, chipboard, gems, metal, wood, fabric, foam and plastic. Got it at Archivers.

    Debbie Kaste

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is excellent..I too love the french mixed media blogs as they are so different...will have to get my cuttlebug out again I think. thanks for your comments about my gesso experiments

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. Love your color scheme and that cuttlebug design just pops on your card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous background - love how you used the CB with it.
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for explaining how you made your beautiful background.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!